serial port woes, was Re: [LinuxPPS] ntpd

gnu not unix gnu at wraith.sf.ca.us
Fri Aug 4 21:07:40 CEST 2006

In message <44D38BC4.6070709 at xs4all.nl> you write:

>I guess the whole problem is about enumeration of the serial ports.
>How does an unpatched kernel report the ports in Folkert's system?
>Does it differ from a linuxPPS patched kernel?

I had problems with the /proc/pps/sources having duplicate
entries for serial ports, when I had enabled BIOS pnp
in the kernel config. Once I removed BIOS pnp (but left
pnp and isapnp "bare" support) in the config, the /proc/pps/sources
reported the correct number of devices, and the patch
worked with ntpd.

I've put the kernel config file I used on the server that is
running linuxpps as pulled via "git" off Rodolpho's server,
up on my web site, if you'd like to examine a working config.

../Steven