[LinuxPPS] ntp : different behavior 2.6.15 / 2.6.19

Bernhard Schiffner bernhard at schiffner-limbach.de
Tue Dec 12 08:45:44 CET 2006

Hi all,

I have some ntpd-logs showing big differences in reboot:

If the ntpd of the rebooted computer was a longer time connected to a good
ntp-server before, he is
2.6.15 : in good shape after a few minutes again
2.6.19 : in a more or less shape after hours.

This says, ntpd is useless on 2.6.19 servers if the are only sporadic used.

I used the same host, only with different kernels. This points IMHO to
something kernel-specific.

Can someone help me to confirm it or nail it down?

tia!

Bernhard

plot:
http://www.schiffner-limbach.de/ntp/ntp_logs_061210.png