[LinuxPPS] still the strangeness

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 20 16:52:07 CET 2006

Bernhard Schiffner wrote:
>> ..., from within ntpd.
> May be there is an additional flag set in ntpq -c pe. Don't know.

Hmm. Interesting.
I am tempted to attach a LED but that woud distort my PPS edge.

>>> Forget about a lot of peers in ntp.conf in this state of affairs.
>> Only the few I posted. ntp.xs4all.nl should be closest but it does not
>> have an own GPS receiver.
> Once more:
> 127.127.20.0
> ntp.xs4all.nl
> !!!ONLY!!!
>
> and now adjust 127.127.20.0's offset so that's reported within +/-3 ms to
> ntp.xs4all.nl.
> (fudge 127.127.20.0 offset as it is + or -30 ms)
> Then you will have a base to justice later wich slope at DCD is the right one.

Since I have a time offset of 0.200 in ntp.conf it must be that now ntpd
is triggering on the falling edge instead of the rising edge.
(other delay would be 800 ms)

>>> cat /proc/pps/0*/* must react!
>> It doesn't.
> IT MUST. BY ANY MEANS!

Patch mistake?

> (Connect other sources, use other programs, do what you want!)

>> Time offset was much closer to 200ms (one PPS length), jitter is lower.
> My receivers:
> the "right" slope is _very_ stable, the other is 100+-1ms away. So it's
> important to find and use the right slope.

Yes, but how?
Assuming PPS is working but on the wrong slope.
flag2 does not have any effect.
So what's next, then?

Kind regards,
Udo