[LinuxPPS] Problem - refclock_nmea: time_pps_kcbind failed

Philip M. White pmw at qnan.org
Fri Jun 2 12:58:25 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 12:14:40PM +0200, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Philip M. White wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:30:04AM +0200, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> >> Does dmesg show PPS timestamps etc?
> >
> > I've been running ntpd all evening with this setup, and the clk_fault is
> > consistent.
>
> Strange. I only get it when I have no PPS due to reception.

Well, you're absolutely right.  Apparently I have consistently-poor
reception.  When I run ntpd in debug mode, although my jitter spikes to
unheard-of levels, I can see that my GPS oscillates between seeing 4
satellites to suddenly seeing 0 satellites.  When it sees 4 satellites,
all is well, I get a clk_okay, and reach is 377.
 When I was just watching the system logs earlier, all I could see are
the clk_fault errors, and since this occurs frequently, it led me to
believe that clk_fault is continuous.

> What does the ntpq -pn look like for the NMEA clock?

     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*127.127.20.0    .GPS.            0 l    8   16  377    0.000   -0.683   0.083

I have my GPS as the only device in the list to see whether ntpd can
sync both the actual time and the PPS signal.  Apparently yes.  This is
great.

Looks like I can declare this project a success, with much thanks to
you.  Thanks again very much.  I'll expand http://time.qnan.org and add
the information for LinuxPPS.

--
Philip