[LinuxPPS] Please review LinuxPPS section on time.qnan.org

Philip M. White pmw at qnan.org
Sun Jun 4 19:00:01 CEST 2006

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 09:24:13AM +0200, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Thanks for the effort!

My pleasure!

> In the first LinuxPPS paragraph please write my name correctly ;-).

I am so sorry.  I usually do pay careful attention to people's names,
since almost everyone carelessly misspells my name as Phillip.  I think
"del" was muscle memory, since it's a common word in Spanish.

> Also: the patches are adapted from Rodolfo's work(!).
> I just made them apply to 2.6.16. (minor rejects which needed manual work)
> Maybe you can mention Rodolfo and link to his LinuxPPS site?

Ok, I mentioned him several times, both near where the patch is
introduced and in the sources.

> Maybe explain that good reception is needed (clock faults...), that the

Ooh, you're right -- that tripped me up for a while, so very good to
mention it.

> 8250 module needs to be loaded or rather be compiled into the kernel.

I had this there already... it goes like, "Once you reboot with a
PPS-enabled kernel and load the pps-core and 8250 modules..."

> One can check dmesg to see if PPS is received.

Added.

> Maybe mention the link to ntp driver 20
> (http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver20.html) which
> in summary shows how to configure the Garmin GPS?

I had this link already in my sources, but now I changed its description
somewhat to be more relevant to LinuxPPS.

> Kind regards,
> Udo

Thanks for the feedback.  Let's do one more round; can you see anything
else?

--
Philip