[LinuxPPS] Please review LinuxPPS section on time.qnan.org

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at linux.it
Sun Jun 4 19:51:22 CEST 2006

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 04:23:16PM -0500, Philip M. White wrote:

> Thanks to this list (Udo), I was able to obtain similar performance to
> the SHM driver, *plus* GPS time, so I no longer NEED extra servers in
> ntpd configuration.

Looking good! :)

> I added this method to my site, and would like y'all to review the
> LinuxPPS section before I incorporate the material into the default
> front page.
>
> The new, unreviewed version is at: http://time.qnan.org/beta.html
>
> Your feedback is much appreciated.

First of all let me suggest you to use lastest LinuxPPS
implementation, that is 2.1.0 which also has a new and powerful procfs
support. :)

«Linux 2.4 has the popular PPSkit patch, and Linux 2.6 has a set of
custom patches provided to me by Udo van den Heuvel; these were
adapted from Rodolfo Giometti, who maintains them»

Please, note that all Udo's patches are available also on my site and,
just to avoid duplicating the code, I suggest to you to refere only
one site.

I think Udo have already tested patches on my site so I think you
should refere to them. Udo? What do you think about it? Are you agree?

«LinuxPPS requires that your GPS is connected to the PC only over an
8250-compliant port. If this is not the case, you cannot use this
driver.»

This is not completely true... LinuxPPS allow user to define their own
LinuxPPS clients whose can get PPS signal from everywhere: external
GPIOs, parallel ports etc.. The problem is that, currently, exists
only one functional client: the 8250. :)

This is the real «important thing» of LinuxPPS. Please see:

   http://wiki.enneenne.com/index.php/LinuxPPS_support#Coding_example

I developed LinuxPPS just to have a flexible tool to collect PPS
signals not only from a serial line...

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127