[LinuxPPS] Occasionally ntpd stops receiving NMEA data

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 5 13:19:55 CEST 2006

Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> I know. It's an hack... but it is the shortest way! ;)

It is bad. No stuff should be kept.
There is spelling errors BTW.

LINUXPSS_API is the variable to be checked by ntp.
(i.e.: do we have LinuxPPS? to include the header files)

Later ntp can check for PPS_API_VERS, PPS_API_VERS_1 or PPS_API_VERS_2
(see how messy this gets).
Just PPS_API_VERS which can be either 1 or 2 for now should be enough.

Just send in a patch to the ntp folks and *maybe* the next release will
behave differently.

Then, when PPS_API_VERS 3 comes around there's less trouble.

Can we skip stuff like this and concentrate on the issues I posted about
earlier?
Like simplifying and minimizing the changes to the ntp code?
Maybe put a function layer in between so there's no changes needed?
(for the not LinuxPPS-aware applications)

Udo