[Linuxpps] 27 May 10:48 - Per PPS source procfs entry support added.

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sat May 27 13:16:44 CEST 2006

Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 01:06:20PM +0200, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> Nice, interesting!
>
> Please, try it! :)

Requires some work and a reboot. Maybe tomorrow.

>> Maybe also we can look at putting more stuff in the header files as
>> mentioned at http://bugs.ntp.isc.org/610 in comment #20?
>> (without radically changing the API)
>> Also the findsource example could be looked at.

So that it finds other sources than /dev/ttyS0 as well.

>> If the API is not going to be changed it appears to a logical path to
>> focus on minimizing the changes to the ntp sourcecode.
>
> We can add two new functions called:
>
>    int time_pps_findpath(char *path);
>    int time_pps_findid(char *id);
>
> which using time_pps_findsource() may found the PPS source described
> into "path" or "id".

Sounds like a good direction.
Then we need a way that the user can use to point to the paths or id's
mentioned in those functions.
I.e. like the last octet in the ntpd pseudo-IP for a clock source for an
id, or path as a link to a device in /dev?

Just as helpers when the generic findsource does not work.