[LinuxPPS] offset issues: solution?

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at linux.it
Sun Oct 8 10:31:37 CEST 2006

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 09:50:45AM +0200, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> After the offset things I noticed I found some stuff in my messages
> files, stuff like:  ntpd[11616]: refclock: cannot find PPS path "ttyS0"
> in the system
>
> My link in /dev was gps0 -> ttyS0 but should be gps0 -> /dev/ttyS0.
> After the correction (also in /etc/udev/devices/) the error was gone and
> so was the offset problem.
>
> So why did ntpd work although the link was not good?
> I would expect it to fail with an error and quit.
>
> Can we fix this? (since it gives bad clock if the link is not OK)

Are you sure that in your refclock you return an error code in this
situation? Notice that the warning message cames from the refclock
itself «ntpd[11616]: refclock:...».

So you should check that, in this situation, your refclock returns an
error code.

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127