[LinuxPPS] offset issues: solution?

Philip M. White pmw at qnan.org
Wed Oct 18 16:52:55 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 04:43:42PM +0200, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Attached here.

Thanks; I replaced the old version with it.  The old version is still
available with a dated filename.

> How is your GPS performance and what kernel do you use?

As you may know, I am not able to use the GPS device on my server
(time.qnan.org) where it could actually do some good, since the server
is colocated in a facility that does not offer a view of the sky.
Instead, I can only run it on my workstation at home, behind a DSL line
and with three other Internet-hungry roommates.

Because of these limitations, I am not able to really pursue this hobby
as much as y'all.  I have not upgraded the kernel from version 2.6.17, I
don't really monitor how ntpd is doing, and in general school and work
are occupying all my time for now. :-/

The biggest development in the last few months is that I received an
email from someone saying that because the green LED on my circuit board
(as per the design published on my site) is on the same circuit as PPS,
driving it induces jitter.  I posted this finding on the web site so
that new developers would not repeat my mistake, and then received
another email from soneone else saying that this LED adds no more than
0.1 microsecond of jitter, and they verified this result with an
oscilloscope.  I will still probably redesign the circuit.

Other than this, I really have not been keeping up with the world of
timekeeping.  I hope to get back into it soon.

--
Philip