[LinuxPPS] it worked

James Boddington boddingt at optusnet.com.au
Fri Oct 20 00:56:36 CEST 2006

James Cloos wrote:
> If you already have a clone of Linus' tree, do this:
>
> git clone --reference /path/to/linus/clone git://gitweb.enneenne.com/linuxpps
>
> If not, you can use rsync to grab one (since the trees on kernel.org
> are available by all of http, git and rsync) and go from there.
>
> You do need the --partial option to rsync (I use -avrPSH).
>
> Once you get a rsync you can use it as a --bare clone.  Clone from
> that (use an ssh url) and then use *that* clone for the --reference.

Restarting the rsync worked as expected. The clone --reference worked very nicely.

As your suggestion gave me a copy of Linus' tree I also tried following the git
examples on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software) which mentions
linuxpps. After a bit of playing I now have a git generated patch for kernel I
am playing with instead of my manually generated patch.

--
    James