[LinuxPPS] LSR safety check engaged..

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 15 10:31:37 CEST 2006

Please keep relevant questions on the list.

sleek daelite wrote:
> Did you ever get that problem..when u patch ur kernel??
> On 9/15/06, *Udo van den Heuvel* <udovdh at xs4all.nl
> <mailto:udovdh at xs4all.nl>> wrote:
>
>     sleek daelite wrote:
>     > i've got this problem with my serial port ttyS0 and ttyS2, they both
>     > share the same IRQ 4 and also they have a "LSR safety check engaged"..
>     > When i run ntp it wouldn't even detect the gps device.. Can anyone
>     > provide me with some assistance..Thanks
>
>     Google.
>
>     http://www.linux.com/howtos/Serial-HOWTO-17.shtml#ss17.16

No. The explanation on the url could make one think that the idea of the
kernel about the com-port setup and the reality are different.
See also the links at question 17.16.

Please check the hardware first.
How many ports do you have? What are the default settings for those ports?
What are the changes you made?
What does setserial say?
I read about a shared IRQ: do you want to use two ports on one irq
simultaneously? Does your hardware support that? What about the software?
Etc, etc.

The LSR message is a low-level kernel thingie and probably not related
to the PPS-patch which has its own problems with strange com-port setups.

Udo