[LinuxPPS] [RFC] time_pps_createbyname()

Frank Kardel kardel at ntp.org
Mon Aug 6 09:58:44 CEST 2007

> Let me just say that the ONCORE driver (like the two that have already
> been
> mentioned)
> opens two devices, one for ascii, one for PPS.  It is my belief that ALL
> the
> drivers
> do this.

Good - we would just need to make sure.

> Considering the argument/discussion that is taking place due to the change
> in
> the
> PPSAPI implementation, would it be possible to add a new function to
> LinuxPPS
> that would/could associate the PPS source from one of your embedded
> systems
> with some new serial port.  This would leave the PPSAPI as it stands and
> only
> add
> a new function for those that need it.  If this port needs to have a magic
> name that
> is recognized by the implementation, fine.

My proposal is much simpler. LinuxPPS should just provide a PPSAPI
capable char device for each of its PPS sources via sysfs. That's all
that is needed.

If you say PPS capable drivers open two devices we are already home free.
I just haven't checked all drivers yet.

Providing PPSAPI capable devices in LinuxPPS gives any PPS source a
PPSAPI char device, even if no regular driver would exist for that source.

With that solution no more patches for ntpd would be needed and
we save much work here.

Frank