[LinuxPPS] [RFC] time_pps_createbyname()

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Mon Aug 6 15:26:43 CEST 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 02:44:33PM +0200, Frank Kardel wrote:

> yes - just for easier identification. If something bound to a number could
> change it will become an administrative hassle. So matching ttyS0
> /dev/ttyS0 may be easier for users.

Ok, I'll chage it even if by using the current "name" feature instead
of "path", since some PPS sources may have no reference "path" at all
(think about CPU's GPIO). Users may see something like
/sys/class/pps/serial0/ where they will find a "path" file holding
"/dev/ttyS0" or so, if current PPS source has a related char device,
otherwise there will be no "path" file at all or just an empty one.

> It should make things easier. And we can stop the work on all those
> patches to refclock drver except for a final check that the refclock
> driver can open a separate PPSAPI device.

Ok, I agree. I'll start changing LinuxPPS ASAP. :)

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127