[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS 5.0.0-rc1

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 9 18:21:02 CEST 2007

Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 05:26:37PM +0200, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>
>> Thanks for taking the steps that might take LinuxPPS to teh final
>> inclusing into the kernel!
>> What I am wondering about is the consequences to the refclocks.
>> What should I change in the NMEA patch for example?
>> I don't yet understand fully.
>>
>> Can someone please explain?
>
> If you see last letters with Frank in this ML's archives you can see
> what you have to do. Take a look at refclock 8 (named PARSE):
>
>    http://www.ee.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver8.html

These docs dont tell me that much.

> it can consider one or two devices.
>
> If you supply one device it tries to read both GPS and PPS data from
> it, but if you supply 2 devices it tries to read GPS data from
> /dev/refclock-u while PPS data from /dev/refclockpps-u.

So I make two links pointing to the same /dev/ttySx for my current
Garmin GPS18?

> You should modify your refclocks in order to do like PARSE does.
>
> The resulting patch will be more likely accepted into NTP main line
> (as Frank said ;).

So for NMEA plus PPS (like on the Garmin GPS18 I have) I could make a
patch that accepts one device where it finds both PPS and NMEA by
default? (alternate approach from the link suggestion above)
And as extra (to make it flexible like expected) I can have it receive
PPS from another device file.

For the PPS driver we supply two devices where only the PPS device file
works?