[LinuxPPS] Sucess (and failure) with current API.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Sun Jul 1 23:46:24 CEST 2007

Just a short note to say that things seem to be working fine with
the current (NEW) API and my test program *and* NTP
(with changes I will install once the NEW linuxPPS API stabalizes).

So linuxPPS is working fine for me on the Serial port.

For the Parallel port, I get info from the test program right down
to the point where it enters the time loop, and then nothing.
Thats a LOT better than the last time I tried this.  An attempt
at
    ./ppsctl /dev/lp0 enable

failed (as it did before), and it was my understanding that this
statement (or something similar) was NOT necessary for the parallel port.

So, the Serial port seems to be working fine (I will need some more
data before I can plot anything) but I still have no luck with the
parallel port.

---

For anyone else that wants to try the parallel port, you should be
able to make the following the following cable to test it from your
serial source.

    (1) You will need two 9pin D connectors, a 25pin D connector,
          and about 18inches of 10conductor ribbon cable.
    (2) You strip off one wire from the ribbon cable to make it 9wide,
         obviously you want to leave the marked side (usually red) to
         make things easier at later steps.
    (3) Put the 9pin connector that has the right sex to connect to
         your source to one end of the cable.  Red goes to pin 1.
    (4) put the other 9pin connector (that will connect to your PC)
         about 6inches from the other end of the cable.  Again Red to pin 1.
    (5) Now strip wire 1 away from the rest of the cable for about 1/2 inch
         from the free end of the cable.  You will have to press it down in
         the appropriate slot for pin 11 of the parallel connector.
    (6) My connectors have two plastic 'covers' one that goes directly
          over the wires as they are pressed into the slots that make contact
          with them, and a second where you bring the cable back over the
          top of the first just for stability.  with this 25pin connector, with
          just 1 pin connected, I folded the remaining wires to double them
          up under the 2nd cover to give the thing a bit more stability.

So, Id like to hear from anyone else who has tried this, and tried the
parallel port.
--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com