[LinuxPPS] Changing the syscalls

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Mon Jul 2 22:11:41 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 01:50:28PM -0600, clemens at dwf.com wrote:

> So not knowing what time_t looks like, I would agree with your solution
> of using something better behaved for the transmission from user/kernel.
> My initial assumption would be that a long int would be appropriate, that
> should take care of times for a while... (well 100 years)...

Linux gurus suggested to me using __u32 or __u64 which are fixed data
types across different architectures and avoiding in using long which
is not fixed while passing from 32 to 64 bits.

I think better choise with an easy implementation for both
architectures could be:

	struct pps_timespec {
		__u32 sec;
		__u32 nsec;
	};

These structure is suitable for both 32 and 64 bits.

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127