[LinuxPPS] Dumb Question about /dev/lp0

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Thu May 3 20:40:42 CEST 2007

OK, I really have to run to get into the office, so I might not
be thinking this thru clearly, but I was just about to try the
/dev/lp0 parallel port with ntpd, and I find that I dont get
anything there nor with ppstest.

Lets stay with ppstest:

[root at deneb PPS-user]# ppstest /dev/lp0
trying PPS source "/dev/lp0"
found PPS source #0 "parport0" on "/dev/lp0"
ok, found 1 source(s), now start fetching data...

<and it hangs>

Looking at /sys/class/pps
[root at deneb 00]# more assert
0.000000000#0
[root at deneb 00]# more mode
1151

It would take longer than  I have to check the mode bits,
but its clear that assert has nothing in it.

Do I have to do something like 'ppsctl' to turn this
parallel port on?  The obvious attempt with

[root at deneb PPS-user]# ppsctl /dev/lp0 enable
ioctl(TIOCGSERIAL): Invalid argument

doesnt do anything...

Will get back to this, this PM.

--