[LinuxPPS] Finding the /dev/pps<n> device

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Thu Nov 1 03:40:48 CET 2007

Well, I hate to respond to my own posts, but the script I posted
earlier doesn't work at boot time.  It works fine later (tho I have
made a slight modification to test for null $e and not execute the
rest of the script if its null).

Here's my problem.
The script works fine once the system is booted and the user is
in control, but not at boot time.

My GUESS is that /sys/class/pps is not populated when the script
runs, but I can't be sure.

So my real question is in what order do things run?
I see the scripts /etc/rc.d/rc and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, but don't see
one calling the other, so I cant tell when /sbin/start_udev runs
with respect to the rc3.d scripts.

Anyone know how this stuff works?
If we have to wait for udev, anyone have any experience in writing
udev scripts?

For now, I guess its back to not trying to be smart, jut put in constant
symbolic links, and try to remember to change them in the ntpd
script, when I change the kernel. (sigh)

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com