[LinuxPPS] status

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 20 08:27:00 CEST 2007

Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Udo I think your help is very much needed. Unless there are some drivers
>> the whole PPS project could become dead.
>>
>> Would it be possible to simply produce an atom driver from the nmea
>> driver by simply disabling the nmea input?
>
> Maybe just patch the atom driver instead?
> It just uses one port, one handle, etc.

A while ago Rodolfo contributed:

However I suggest to you to do something like this during open phase:

   #ifdef HAVE_PPSAPI
           /*
            * Start the PPSAPI interface if it is there. Default to use
            * the assert edge and do not enable the kernel hardpps.
            */
           if (time_pps_create(fd, &up->handle) < 0) {
	   	   /* Try the alternare PPS device */
		   (void) sprintf(device, DEVICEPPS, unit);

		   fd = open(device, O_RDWR);
		   if (fd < 0)
                           goto pps_error;

		   if (time_pps_create(fd, &up->handle) < 0)
			   goto	pps_error;
           }
           return(nmea_ppsapi(peer, 0, 0));

pps_error:
           /* No luck, no PPS unit available! */
           up->handle = 0;
           msyslog(LOG_ERR,
               "refclock_nmea: alternate PPS device %s fail : %m", device);
           return (1);

   #else
           return (1);
   #endif /* HAVE_PPSAPI */

Please, check the code, I just wrote it without reveiwing.  :)

So we can plug this into the atom driver (we can simplify it as you see)
or rather stilkl try the NMEA driver?