[LinuxPPS] refclock_nmea patch

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 23 19:14:19 CEST 2007

Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
>> But how does LinuxPPS which /dev/pps* to create for which serial ports?
>> Only during the startup phase we use setserial to enable hardpps etc.
>
> This is not important, _you_ know which /dev/pps* is connected with
> your serial line which is connected with you GPS antenna. Just as
> _you_ know which /dev/ttyS* is connected with your serial line which
> is connected with you GPS antenna. :)

So how does LinuxPPS know which (in my case) serial line to map to
/dev/pps0?

>>> Does your code work now? :D
>> The code works/worked. Only the logging is/was unclear, combined with
>> the different functioning of LinuxPPS.
>
> Then modify the logs. :)
> Can I see the working patch? I'll publish it on LinuxPPS main site.

See the lastest patch I posted.

>>> There is nothing strange since in LinuxPPS a PPS source _cannot_ be
>>> also a GPS data source.
>>>
>>> This was the trick which allows us to be RFC compliant! ;)
>> But it was (also?) about being able to address devices that do not
>> appear as files in the system?
>> What item of the RFC prohibits the re-use of a fd for GPS/PPS?
>
> Nobody but in LinuxPPS a PPS device is separated by a GPS data source
> (for example the serial port), this allow users to define their PPS
> sources which is connected with CPU's GPIOs which don't have a
> dedicated device.

Yes, but that is an extra, not a reason to reduce the useful simplicity
we had in the old situation.

> P.S. Please try also these patches I suggested to Reg:
>
>    http://ml.enneenne.com/pipermail/linuxpps/2007-October/001182.html

How can I test them?
Or no extra errors means OK?
BTW:

  CC      drivers/pps/sysfs.o
drivers/pps/sysfs.c: In function âpps_sysfs_create_source_entryâ:
drivers/pps/sysfs.c:113: warning: ignoring return value of
âdevice_create_fileâ, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
drivers/pps/sysfs.c:116: warning: ignoring return value of
âdevice_create_fileâ, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
drivers/pps/sysfs.c:118: warning: ignoring return value of
âdevice_create_fileâ, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
drivers/pps/sysfs.c:119: warning: ignoring return value of
âdevice_create_fileâ, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
drivers/pps/sysfs.c:120: warning: ignoring return value of
âdevice_create_fileâ, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
drivers/pps/sysfs.c:121: warning: ignoring return value of
âdevice_create_fileâ, declared with attribute warn_unused_result