[LinuxPPS] One step backward.

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Sun Sep 16 19:50:08 CEST 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 06:44:27PM -0600, clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> OK, it would seem that the new API, or at least the new timepps.h
> has taken a step backward (I cant come up with the word I want here).
>
> The previous timepps.h defined
>
>         PPS_HAVE_FINDSOURCE
>
> which could be used to distinguish Rodolfo's timepps.h from Ulrich's.
>
> That variable is now gone, and I have nothing to key off of.
> Granted, the chances of using Ulrich's PPS implementation at any
> time in the future is small, but I would like to be able to keep his
> old code as an example of something adhering strictly to the
> PPSAPI.
>
> Granted I can put a define of my own in MY code to switch between the
> two sets of code, but it was nice when the timepps.h did this for me.
>
> Any chance of getting SOME sort of define back in there to distinguish
> between the two implementations?

I think this is not a problem at all, just suggest a candidate and
I'll add it ASAP. ;)

However I think you don't need it at all since last LinuxPPS
implementation (5.x series) is fully compartible with PPS API.

The only think you have to consider is that a GPS data source and a
PPS source may be two different devices even if they are connected
with the same serial port.

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127