[LinuxPPS] Using GPS for automotive applications

Thiago Tiedtke tiedtke at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 12:54:33 CEST 2008

Hi,

In many cases, why use a chip like the MAX232 - the PPS is output
> only, not in/out - a resistor and small-signal MOSFET should do
> beautifully and the propagation delay is still in the low nanoseconds
> (far too small to matter for DCD-based PPS).

In this case, what value of resistor to use?? Schematic ??? :)

I'm using a oem board (superstar ii - novatel) without the resistor, only
connected directly to max232 (both serial output and PPS signal), and then,
connected to a serial port and DCD pin.

The resistor have function of a dummy load??

I using the ntp+pps to syncronize GPS Time with my application , for
aproximate directly georeferencing of aerial images...and in many cases, is
adequate.

Thiago Tiedtke dos Reis