[LinuxPPS] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/11/42

Bernhard Schiffner bernhard at schiffner-limbach.de
Fri Apr 11 14:56:21 CEST 2008

Am Freitag, 11. April 2008 11:41 schrieb Rodolfo Giometti:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:02:43AM +0200, Bernhard Schiffner wrote:
> > Hi Rodolfo,
> >
> > thanks for stepping up again. Seems the only opponent (of details) is
> > Alan Cox now. Congrats so far.
> >
> > But the details he is speaking of are IMHO crucial to linuxpps. That's
> > why I'am writing this message.
> >
> > [snip]
>
> As already stated into my previous e-mail the problem has a better
> solution in hardware, not in software.

Rodolfo,
there are varios aspects here:

1.) We conclude that there is nothing better to do the pps-job than
dedicated hardware with direct available lines for interrupt.
(The PTB does so for their public ntp-servers.)

2.) The area of interest of pps is IMHO a timing better than the use of NTP
over network permits (sub-ms).

3.) You need not only the pps-API but a proof of pudding too.
__ And this is done almost exclusively on normal PC's with no direct
available lines for interrupt.__

So let us do our best to keep these  (PC-) interfaces as long and as good
as we can.

4.) (Regarding Alan's suggestions:)
Perhaps he can show a place better suited for data collection. But until
this happens or perhaps even after this, it is better to have or at least
to know about different solutions.

5.) (Future:)
Split API / source ?

Bernhard