[LinuxPPS] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/11/42

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 19 19:06:13 CEST 2008

Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
>> Please comment.
>
> I think we could do like this:
>
> Step 1) Fix up the lowlevel x86-only irq method which improve
>         resolution so much.

Sounds good to me.
Maybe also make a small documentation (maybe even in the source) so
other archs can be added easily.

> 	This step should be easy to implement regarding the timestamp
> 	issue, a bit complicated regarding the echo function...

Care to explain?

> Step 2) We can completely remove the PPS code from tty serial code
> 	by using a "generic" client (maybe called pps-generic-irq?)
> 	which can be used with any IRQ source.

How does that work with NMEA data from the same serial port?
(I don't share a Gizmo2009 with my GPS's serial port but I'm just asking
how I can maintain the current functionality)

> 	We can implement something that loaded as follow:
>
> 	$ modprobe pps-generic-irq.ko irqs=1,4

Or using kernel cmd-line parameter I hope?

> The first step should improve resolution and the second should remove
> the problem with serial code.

Two steps forward?!
What would Alan and the others think?

> What do you think about these solutions? :)

Sound good to me.
Maybe your complications can be solved somehow?

Udo