[LinuxPPS] after a reboot suddenly there's no more pps for serial?!

Cirilo Bernardo cirilo.bernardo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 01:26:49 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Folkert van Heusden
<folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote:
> Ok found it:
>  - setserial package was updated (debian), without the hardpps patch
>  - pps0 is sometimes attached to lp0 and sometimes against ttyS1
>  so using the setserial package for applying the hardpps setting to the
>  serial port is not the way to go
>  hopefully Udo finds an udev-trick to make it work

For udev to be able to consistently name your PPS devices, the driver
needs to give some unique information to identify your device. You can
look for something unique yourself:

udevinfo -a -p /sys/class/pps/pps0
udevinfo -a -p /sys/class/pps/pps1

Have a look at existing udev scripts to see how persistent naming has
been done in those cases.  I haven't looked at the code for such a
long time, but I think the 'name' parameter used when registering may
be useful for identifying the devices.