[LinuxPPS] which patches?

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Aug 4 22:46:11 CEST 2008

On Monday 04 August 2008 01:19:13 pm Ritter, Nicholas wrote:
> If I have a linux 2.6.23 kernel source, do I just need the one diff
> patch, or do I also need the quater, ter, and bis diffs as well? Also, I
> see that there is a nmea refclock patch, how do I make use of that?
>
> I am trying to, for the first time, setup a CentOS 5.2 based NTP server
> that uses a Garmin GPS18 LVC for clock reference...utilizing the info at
> http://time.qnan.org/
>

> Nick

Nick,

You should consider using a newer kernel.  Starting with the 2.6.26-rc8 (I
think) patch set LinuxPPS starting using line discipline and the user land
tools changed significantly.  This also impacts things like your udev rules
and your ntpd startup scripts.  It looks to me like with the ldisc changes
that the user land tools part is fairly well settled down and will likely not
change too much going forward. I do know that when I moved from 2.6.26-rc8 to
2.6.26 that I did not have to make any changes to udev or my startup scripts.
If you use an older version at some point you will need to upgrade to a ldisc
version and this will require reconfiguring udev and other stuff.  There are
also other improvements like low level interrupt handling (happened between
2.6.24 and 2.6.26-rc8 patch sets) that are only found in newer versions of the
LinuxPPS code.  Also 2.6.26 gets you a nanokernel which may not matter with
the refclock you are going to use since it only has microsecond accuracy.

I don't know anything about the nmea patch.

Hal