[LinuxPPS] gps_nmea error

Ritter, Nicholas Nicholas.Ritter at americantv.com
Mon Aug 11 22:21:54 CEST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: linuxpps-bounces at ml.enneenne.com
[mailto:linuxpps-bounces at ml.enneenne.com] On Behalf Of Udo van den
Heuvel
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 1:22 PM
To: linuxpps at ml.enneenne.com
Subject: Re: [LinuxPPS] gps_nmea error

Ritter, Nicholas wrote:
> I think I have problems with the build and configuration of the box. I

> am going to start over and see where it leads me. I noticed that ntp
> has it's own gps driver, should I still apply a patch?

>What driver? WHat patch?

I think that is part of my problem then...I patched the ntp4.2.4p4
source with the nmea.patch found at
http://ftp.enneenne.com/pub/misc/linuxpps/refclocks/nmea/

I did not take into consideration that 4.2.4p4 has a nmea driver (20)
already, I am guesing that the driver was merged into the ntp tree
sometime after 4.2.4p2?

> coming in, should I see something else?

>If PPS: Carrier Detect lighting on and off?

The LED is blink for PPS signal, once a second, as it should. I am using
the qnan.org design.

> Could the DATUM setting and NMEA version setting of the GPS have an
> impact? In that NTP would not be able to parse a particular datum
> string format?

>?

There are two settings in the Garmin 18 that I was not sure about:

Earth Datum index (currently set to "WGS 84")
NMEA 2.30 Mode (currently set to "Off")