[LinuxPPS] linuxPPS built with 'ntp-pps-2.6.27-rc3-bis.diff' not working

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Mon Aug 25 17:35:49 CEST 2008

> Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> > Ok, did you recompile userland programs? Please note that kernel gurus
> > asked to me to change ioctl()s numbers, so all userland programs must
> > be recompiled against new file pps.h.
>
> Important to remind people about this when a non-rc release is due!

OK, OOUCH, I didnt do that.
But this seems to put the ball back in the IOCTL cort.
When I update the userland pps.h from the kernel version, and rebuild userland
programs (for some strange reason my MAKE is not seeing the change,- I had to
delete the executable to get things to rebuild) the programs HANG at the ioctl.

Mumph

And this makes it really ugly to move back and forth between the old and new
kernels, as all the userland stuff has to be rebuilt each time.

So, what would cause a

    if (!ioctl(fd1, TIOCSETD, &ldisc))

to hang?

I see a #define PPS_SETPARAMS line in the pps.h which is probably
involved in the TIOCSETD that has had the P -> p, so this is probably
related.... Did this change have to be made somewhere else too???

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com