[LinuxPPS] Kernel Include files needed in Userland.

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Tue Aug 26 09:07:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:12:58AM -0600, clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> Im sure this info is in the Wiki, but I would propose that there be
> one more short file in the kernel Documentation/pps directory
> (for those that dont know about the linuxPPS wiki) containing
> the following info.
>
> I would propose a file named 'userland-info' with the following
> information in it:
>
> ---
>
> Until the Linux userland include files in /usr/include get updated
> to include the linuxPPS changes, the user will have to copy the
> following files from a recent (linux-2.6.27 or later) kernel
> to /usr/include to get user programs to compile correctly.
>
> <kernel>/Documentation/pps/timepps.h        -> /usr/include/timepps.h
> <kernel>/linux/timex.h			-> /usr/include/linux/timex.h
> <kernel>/linux/pps.h			-> /usr/include/linux/pps.h

This info is temporary and not suitable for kernel documentation (I
fear that kernel's guru will reject file
linux/Documentation/pps/timepps.h). Also this info is reported into
the wiki.

This kind of information will be useful in «LinuxPPS HOWTO»... does
nobody wish to write one? ;)

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti