[LinuxPPS] Kernel Include files needed in Userland.

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Tue Aug 26 10:28:52 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 06:14:36PM +1000, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:

> If I recall correctly, there is a kernel config mechanism for putting
> a header into the "kernel headers" directory, so there should be no
> need for an extra copy of pps.h since it should be installed when the
> "kernel headers" are installed.

You are right.

> To see how the mechanism works I would suggest looking at any file in
> the kernel's user-space include directory then looking at the kernel
> tree to see how the Kconfig file determines whether or not that header
> goes into the user includes.  I don't know what mechanisms are used to
> separate kernel internals from user-space (API) information (multiple
> includes, #ifdefs etc).
>
> That would also make things much simpler on the wiki since the
> instructions will just be "install the kernel headers then compile
> NTP" (well, maybe after patching NTP).

The problem is that we have two files: the first is pps.h which is a
kernel header and is automagically added when you install the kernel,
the second is timepps.h and cannot be added into kernel files since
it's simply an userland wrapper whose implement the PPSAPI by
ioctl()s. This file should be added into proper distro's
package... i.e. libpps-dev.deb.

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti