[LinuxPPS] Patches for kernel 2.6.26-rc8

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Jul 6 19:36:02 CEST 2008

On Sunday 06 July 2008 01:58:59 am Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 01:31:38AM -0700, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> >    I have tested this setup and I am seeing a number of issues. I even
> >    started over with fresh images just to make sure I had everything
> > correct.
> >
> >    First I still have to run setserial on the port to get things to work.
> >    If I don't the OnCore driver can't communicate with the GPS.
>
> Please, report the setserial command you used.

I am currently using the following udev rule.

KERNEL=="ttyS1", RUN+="/bin/setserial -v /dev/%k low_latency hardpps",
SYMLINK+="oncore.serial.0"

But if I remove this rule I can get things working by first running:

/bin/setserial -v /dev/ttyS1 hardpps

and then

/bin/ppsldisc /dev/ttyS1

which results in a working interface to the GPS.  If I don't run setserial
first ppdldisc creates the PPS device and ppstest shows that it is working but
the OnCore driver can't talk to the GPS and fails during initialization.

> Also, please, add these printk()s into file drivers/serial/8250.c as
> follow:
>
> static void
> serial8250_set_ldisc(struct uart_port *port)
> {
>         int line = port->line;
>
> printk("TEST serial8250_set_ldisc line %d\n", line);
>         if (line >= port->info->tty->driver->num)
>                 return;
>
>         if (port->info->tty->ldisc.num == N_PPS) {
> printk("TEST enable MS ldisc %d\n", port->info->tty->ldisc.num);
>                serial8250_enable_ms(port);
> 	}
> }
>
> You should see the above messages when you enable the N_PPS ldisc.

OK I will do this and test it.