[LinuxPPS] Patches for kernel 2.6.26-rc8

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Jul 7 01:24:49 CEST 2008

On Sunday 06 July 2008 01:58:59 am Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 01:31:38AM -0700, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> >    I have tested this setup and I am seeing a number of issues. I even
> >    started over with fresh images just to make sure I had everything
> > correct.
> >
> >    First I still have to run setserial on the port to get things to work.
> >    If I don't the OnCore driver can't communicate with the GPS.
>
> Please, report the setserial command you used.
>
> Also, please, add these printk()s into file drivers/serial/8250.c as
> follow:
>
> static void
> serial8250_set_ldisc(struct uart_port *port)
> {
>         int line = port->line;
>
> printk("TEST serial8250_set_ldisc line %d\n", line);
>         if (line >= port->info->tty->driver->num)
>                 return;
>
>         if (port->info->tty->ldisc.num == N_PPS) {
> printk("TEST enable MS ldisc %d\n", port->info->tty->ldisc.num);
>                serial8250_enable_ms(port);
> 	}
> }
>
> You should see the above messages when you enable the N_PPS ldisc.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Rodolfo

The messages show up even if I have not run setserial but the ntp OnCore
driver does not connect up properly and the reach stays at 0.   I definitely
have to run setserial before I run ppsldisc for this to work.  If I run them
in the other order ntp either does not find the PPS signal or does not find
the GPS on the serial port.

Here is what I get whenI run dmesg:

PPS line discipline registered
new PPS source serial1 at ID 0