[LinuxPPS] "...fetch/...timeout" but working anyways

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Mon Jul 7 07:47:39 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 08:31:13AM -0700, gnu not unix wrote:
> Hi again--
>
> I went and patched ntp-dev again just to make sure I had things ok.
> Had to make the same hand fix of one part of the nmea patch, but
> no problem there. Then I started it up again. Well foo, I got the
> same business in the dmesg log:
>

> PPS event on source 0 at 1215356878.000407
> capture assert seq #57196 for source 0
> [IRQev] PPS assert at 5550845 on source #0
> PPS event on source 0 at 1215356878.1356520
> capture clear seq #57179 for source 0
> [IRQev] PPS clear at 5550845 on source #0
> PPS_FETCH: source 0
> timeout 0.000000000
> PPS_FETCH: source 0
> timeout 0.000000000
>

> Actually, though, I think the "timeout" is somehow misleading, because

No, that message is ok, it just says that the timeout parameter is
0. :)

> I let the patched ntpd run overnight, and here's my results:
>

> gnu at nimbus.wraith.sf.ca.us[582] ntpq -p
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
> +GPS_NMEA(0)     .GPS.            0 l   45   64  377    0.000    0.000   0.000
> oPPS(0)          .PPS.            0 l   13   16  377    0.000    0.000   0.000
>

> Nice! Running an "ntpdate -d" against the friendly freebsd 5.4 box

Great! :)

> gives me the following offset (line wrapped for email):
>
> 6 Jul 08:13:21 ntpdate[28935]:
>  adjust time server 192.58.220.65 offset -0.000014 sec
>
> That is the same magnitude offset as the earlier linuxpps I
> have running on another host here.
>
> Also, here is what my syslog shows when I started up ntpd
> (lines wrapped for the email):
>

> Jul  5 20:44:56 nimbus ntpd[28900]:
>      refclock_nmea: found GPS source "/dev/gps0"
>
> Jul  5 20:44:56 nimbus ntpd[28900]:
>      refclock_nmea: try alternate PPS device "/dev/pps0"
>
> Jul  5 20:44:56 nimbus ntpd[28900]:
>      refclock_nmea: found PPS source "/dev/pps0"
>
> Jul  5 20:44:56 nimbus ntpd[28900]:
>      refclock_nmea: time_pps_kcbind failed: Operation not supported
>
> So it looks like things are working well with the linuxpps patch
> at the moment. The only issue is the kernel issue of the damaged
> phase lock loop (pll) parameters, but that is not the linuxpps
> patch fault. This damage causes the terribly long time (hours)
> ntpd needs to process the initial offset adjustment.
>
> I am going to setup the parallel port pps now--I want to reboot
> the test machine (nimbus) to fuss with the BIOS settings.
>

> //Steve
> ps I tried to resubscribe to the mailing list and "mailman" sent
> an email claiming I was already subscribed. So email from the server
> itself seems to get through, just nothing from the list subscription.

Once I got from my mail server:

     gnu at wraith.sf.ca.us
       Network is unreachable:
       retry timeout exceeded

Hope you can read this message...

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti