[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS with 'nano' support cookbook recipe

Remco den Besten besten at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 10:05:41 CEST 2008

On the basis of Udo's and James' recent 'nano' thread I created the
following
cookbook recipe to use 'nano' support with LinuxPPS and ntpd.
I have it running here with a 2.6.26 kernel and the 2.6.26-rc8.diff patch in
conjunction
with Debian testing.

1. Apply everything necessary to implement microsupport (LinuxPPS), see this
list ;-)
2. Apply the patch from James to /usr/include/sys/timex.h
3. Create the symlink: ln -s /usr/include/sys/timex.h /usr/include/timex.h
4. re-../configure ntp (' ../configure <insert options> ') and make the ntp
sources ('make')
5. in ntp-source tree go to ntpd directory and strip ntpd (' strip ntpd ' )
6. stop currently running ntpd and start new ntpd (' sudo ./ntpd ')

(optional: do a make install within the ntp source tree)

To monitor the behaviour of the new ntpd, use the tools and commands from
the freshly
compiled ntp-source (see subdirs ntpq, ntpdc, etc. and utils) otherwise
erroneous values
will and/or may be reported.

Below a report from a 25 mins running 'nano' ntpd using the aforementioned
recipe:

remco at helium [/home/remco/ntp-dev-4.2.5p113/ntpdc]> ./ntpdc -c kern
pll offset:           8.415e-06 s
pll frequency:        67.868 ppm
maximum error:        0.000741 s
estimated error:      0 s
status:               2001  pll nano
pll time constant:    4
precision:            1e-09 s
frequency tolerance:  500 ppm

Of course one can later do a 'make install'  within the ntp source tree when
everything works
conveniently.

//Remco