[LinuxPPS] 17Jun Patch

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Wed Jun 18 02:44:59 CEST 2008

> > As mentioned in my previous note, the following  is a test program that
> > returns the LineDiscipline,
> >
> > [root at deneb reg]# a.out /dev/ttyS0
> > Line Discipline = 17
> > [root at deneb reg]# a.out /dev/pps1
> > IOCTL returned -1
> >
> > and having 17 for the serial line and -1 (error) for the PPS line just doesnt
> > look right.
> >

> It looks right to me; the PPS virtual device is not a TTY so the IOCTL
> should fail.  It is the GPS device which should continue to function
> as a TTY and essentially be unaffected by the PPS line discipline.

The IOCTL in question is TIOCGETD which gets the type of the line discipline,
and there should be no failure in returning that value.

I would expect the Serial device to be a serial device, nothing should have
changed there, and it should return "0" for N_TTY.
The new device /dev/pps1 should return 17 for N_PPS.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com