[LinuxPPS] the ttyctrl program.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Mon Jun 23 08:00:43 CEST 2008

The important point here is that the line discipline change only stay
effective as long as /dev/ttyS0 (or whatever) stays open.

You can't just do ttyctrl (without -X) as the line discipline gets set, then
goes away.  But I consider it ugly having ttyctrl hanging forever (with -X),
and it would be worse to add code to ntpd to do this 'more elegantly'.

What I would suggest would be a third option for ttyctrl, in addition to
(nothing) and (-X).  Perhaps even -X <number> but thats really not necessary,
just an option so that the program hangs for say 60seconds and then drops
away.  Thats more than enough time for ntpd to start and open the device
/dev/ttyS0, and it would get rid of this 'thing' that people are going to
notice and ask about.  ttyctrl could then be part of the startup script for
ntpd, rather than a once only thing.

I could do that, but it would be nice if we were all playing with the same
set of subroutines.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com