[LinuxPPS] 17Jun Patch

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Tue Jun 24 22:13:43 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:28:10PM -0600, clemens at dwf.com wrote:

> I started this thread, and didnt think it was going to continue as it has.

:)

> First, the above solution is very nice, but I am just as happy using ttyctrl.
> My only complaint was that it hangs around, and this is not necessary.
> Once the line discipline is set it is going to stay set till the final close
> of the device.
> So, if there were an option to set the line discipline to N_TTY with ttyctrl,
> and then wait say 30-60seconds before
> exiting, this could be done in the ntpd startup script, and ntpd would start,
> open the device and hold
> the line discipline until it itself exited.

It could be a solution but I don't think it _is_ the right-thing(TM).

> Seems cleaner than the multiple places that ntpd itself would have to be
> modified (every driver that
> opens a pps device).

No, every driver that opens a primary device and it finds that it is
not a PPS source also; then, before opening the secondary one, it
should try to change the ldisc on the primary device.

> Anyone see a problem with that?

Not myself. :)

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti