[LinuxPPS] More on problem with the PPS Device.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Mon Jun 30 06:03:27 CEST 2008

There is something strange about this list.
I posted the referenced article to this list yesterday at 16:10 and I received
a copy from the list at 16:11. Fine
Rodolfo replied to the message at 03:21 this morning, but his response,
which was directed to both me and the list has yet to appear on the list.
That's 18+ hours.

So, I am replying to something that no-one else has seen.

---

In any case, I accept Rodolfo's explanation of what is going on in
the kernel and userland.

I have to question if my doing a

    system("mknod /dev/pps1 c 254 1");

just qualifies a an additional delay (like my sleep(5) ) or if more is
going on there.

But more important, is there some way to work around needing a
userland delay to allow udev to do its work.

It would be nice to have something that actually waited for the
device to be created, but mabe that's not possible.

[[ and yes one could do a while and a usleep of a few tens of ms,
    waiting for the device to appear,- but frankly, just waiting
    for 5 seconds seems cleaner than that... ]]

Any thoughts??
--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com