[LinuxPPS] parallel PPS

Paul paul at lavender-fam.net
Sat Mar 1 18:55:29 CET 2008

Remco

The Rockwell Jupiter module has an interesting history. I think the early ones
outputted 'NMEA' data in a binary mode. (After all, nobody expected them to
be used as we do - the manufacturers assumed they would be built into car
GPSs etc.) Later ones output the NMEA data as a standard serial stream. The
problem is that they only output the NMEA data when the processor is not too
busy. Hence the one second offset. Unfortunately they sometimes output the
data two seconds late, and may spend hours doing this. As far as I could see
this is not related to satellite visibility. If you don't actually see it
happening, the obvious effect is a surprisingly high jitter on the NMEA.

Paul