[LinuxPPS] kernel does not see PPS on serial port

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Fri Mar 7 09:40:29 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:20:43AM +0100, LICHTENBERGER Janos wrote:
> Der Rodolfo,
>
> > On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 04:18:07PM +0100, LICHTENBERGER Janos wrote:
> >>
> >> Now I'm facing to a new migration problem, I have to setup a new PC and
> >> it
> >> looks rather difficult to use the good old 2.6.15.7  with the new
> >> hardware, thus yesterdat I downloaded the latest linuxpps source using
> >> git
> >> from your server (2.6.24). Config, compilation, boot - all OK. modprobe
> >> ktimer works, the log shows the impulses counted by kernel. Then I
> >> enabled
> >> pps on ttyS0 using ppsctl, it was noticed in the log - but nothing
> >> happened, no pps was detected (pps0 directory appeared on sys
> >> filesystem,
> >> with non-varying assert and clear content).
> >
> > If you look into /proc/interrupts do you see that the interrupts
> > counter of the serial line is increasing?
> >
> No, not at all. I booted with the old 2.6.15.7 kernel and in this case the
> interrupt counter steadily increased. May it mean that something is wrong
> with serial port? The port itself is working, I tried with an app reading
> and writing data through the port (it does not use pin 1 howvever).

Which version of LinuxPPS are you using on both kernels?

On the new kernel, when everything is up and running, do you see the
serial port entry in /proc/interrupts or not at all? Or you see such
entry but the interrupt counter is fixed to "0".

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127