[LinuxPPS] kernel does not see PPS on serial port

LICHTENBERGER Janos lityi at sas.elte.hu
Fri Mar 7 09:20:43 CET 2008

Der Rodolfo,

> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 04:18:07PM +0100, LICHTENBERGER Janos wrote:
>>
>> Now I'm facing to a new migration problem, I have to setup a new PC and
>> it
>> looks rather difficult to use the good old 2.6.15.7  with the new
>> hardware, thus yesterdat I downloaded the latest linuxpps source using
>> git
>> from your server (2.6.24). Config, compilation, boot - all OK. modprobe
>> ktimer works, the log shows the impulses counted by kernel. Then I
>> enabled
>> pps on ttyS0 using ppsctl, it was noticed in the log - but nothing
>> happened, no pps was detected (pps0 directory appeared on sys
>> filesystem,
>> with non-varying assert and clear content).
>
> If you look into /proc/interrupts do you see that the interrupts
> counter of the serial line is increasing?

No, not at all. I booted with the old 2.6.15.7 kernel and in this case the
interrupt counter steadily increased. May it mean that something is wrong
with serial port? The port itself is working, I tried with an app reading
and writing data through the port (it does not use pin 1 howvever).

I attach the config file for both the new and old kernel, it may help.

Ciao

Janos

> Rodolfo
>
> --
>
> GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
> Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
> Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
> UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127

Dr. János Lichtenberger
Space Research Group,
Eötvös University,
Budapest, Pf 32 H-1518 Hungary