[LinuxPPS] kernel does not see PPS on serial port

LICHTENBERGER Janos lityi at sas.elte.hu
Fri Mar 7 12:39:24 CET 2008

> This is not good... I suspect that your NTPD driver for
> refclock_jupiter doesn't see any PPS source in the system and doesn't
> program the GPS antenna in order to generate PPS event.

PPS is on DCD physically, I have checked it by scope many times, it is
enabled by the setting on the card and I think ntpd has nothing GPS card
setup. As I know well, it fetches the data coming through serial line,
nothing else.

But ntpd is exactly the same on both kernel, I patched and compiled it
when I compiled 2.6.15.7 and later I replaced the ntp binary on 2.6.24
(the old kernel runs on a FC5, while the new is on a FC6). And that common
ntpd binary works well with any other setup with both kernels. Thus I
thought, not ntpd is wrong, what it says is correct: it does not see PPS
on DCD pin.

> I suggest to contact the driver's author or check the driver's code!

That would be difficult, because Rockwell stopped producing his GPS chip,
I heard the license was sold to a Chinese company. But when it was in
production, there was no support for ntpd at all.

>> ntpd[4454]: refclock_jupiter: time_pps_getcap failed: Socket operation
>> on
>> non-socket
>> ntpd[4454]: ntpd exiting on signal 15

Yes, I know...