[LinuxPPS] Stats & architectures

Robert Jenkins raj at jrw.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 11:23:59 CET 2008

Hi Rodolfo & all,

I'm still having tremendous problems trying to get PPS to work properly on
my new server..

Two questions:
In the present PPS implementation (V5.x), what should ntptime show when PPS
is in lock? On my system it has never shown anything other than 'status 0x1
(PLL)' where older PPS versions (on my previous system) used to somewhat
different info?

Is anyone else using PPS on an x86_64 dual-core system and getting good
results?

------
With an earlier kernel (2.6.23) I got good stability (both error & jitter
settled at 0.001) but it never showed any status other than PLL.

I rebuilt everything using the 2.6.24 kernel and now it jumps about at
random - it settles down, sometines to .001 for a while then jumps, with
anything from a few uS to 3mS increase in error.

(This is both with & without the kernel patch.
That patch does have a significant effect, the frequency is around -95ppm
without the patch and -66ppm with it, but either way is still jumps and
jitters.)