[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS and ONCORE receivers.

Remco den Besten besten at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 23:41:33 CET 2008

Hello Hal,

Your email address makes a point: 'astounding' ;-)

I read your post about clocksources, concerning hpet and acpi_pm, and this
really was an eye opener for me.

As an early adaptor of LinuxPPS I use the PPSAPI of Rodolfo in conjunction
with Oncore GPS receivers.

However, I experienced -temperature dependent- offsets and jitters in the
order of tenths of usecs (this made
me change to FreeBSD for my primary NTP server ;-(

It appeared that that my available (linux) clocksources were limited to
'tsc' and 'jiffies'. My system chose 'tsc'.
I recompiled my kernel with the HPET options on,  included ACPI_PM, and
amended the kernel boot parameters
with append="notsc" (LILO), and my system chose the ACPI_PM clocksource (I
still cannot figure out how to activate
HPET on my ICH2 Intel processor.... anyone any ideas how to? Yes I know..
it's a BIOS issue... )