[LinuxPPS] Motherboards with decent Xtals.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Wed Nov 12 05:20:09 CET 2008

Since there has been some related discussion on the DFC77-PPS thread,
Im going to ask a question of everyone who reads this list.

Namely.

Does anyone know of motherboards (preferably for Intel Chips) that actually
have decent Xtals on them?  From my point of view, the optimal solution would
be a board with a decent Xtal, that also allowed (by changing some jumper) the
use of an external frequency standard (say 5 or 10MHz).

It would seem that the machine I was using back when I was testing the Ulrich
PPS implementation was much more stable than the machine I am using now.
If one plots Loopstats/clock-offset, the previous machine was smooooth, while
the current machine jumps all over the place.

I know of no such boards, but I have heard rumors that they exist, but are
very expensive.  Anyone have any first (or second) hand info on such a beast?

When I get a chance Ill ask this same question on the ntp list, and if I get
any positive results, Ill report back here.
--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com