[LinuxPPS] PLL sensitivity

Remco den Besten besten at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 11:49:45 CET 2008

Having experience with PLLs from an electronic point of view and looking at
the offsets of LinuxPPS, I wonder
what the time constants of this PLL are. I do not mean the 'pll time
constant', visible with e.g. ntpdc -c kern.

I see that the frequency response of LinuxPPS in relation to the offset is
far more sensitive than e.g. FreeBSD.
That is, I consider it to be extremely sensitive.

Being more a hardware man, I can't figure out in Rodolfo's PPSAPI mods and
sources how the kernel is
synchronized by an external (PPS) reference, but perhaps some smoothing can
be achieved by experimenting
with the PLL filter(s) (e.g. timing contstants) like PI-regulation
(proportional/integral algorithms)?