[LinuxPPS] PPS/ntpd fails on fresh startup

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Tue Oct 7 01:25:15 CEST 2008

> Hi everyone,
>
> been experiment a bit in the last month on my Gentoo-based Pentium MMX
> using a Garmin GPS18LVC.  Found a few snags in my setup, and am
> looking for guidance on how to find the issues.
>
> Running Gentoo with vanilla kernel 2.6.27-rc3 and the latest patches with
> v.5.3.2.  My Gentoo machine has nanosecond support in glibc, thanks
> to Hal, and ntptime reports it correctly.  LinuxPPS is built as modules and
> am currently using the debugging option to gather more data.
>
> I face the same issue when running both a "stable" ntpd 4.2.4 and the
> latest 4.2.5p135, both patched for PPS on driver 20.
>
> The problem I face happens every time the machine wakes up after a fresh
> reboot, and thus does not allow me to reliably list ntpd in the default
> runlevel to allow a complete unattended startup upon a reboot.

Try putting a 'sleep 5' after the section with ppsldisc, and before starting ntpd.

Its ugly, but it should work.
The problem is that it takes the system some time to set up the ldisc, and
it probably isnt worth trying to wait (cleanly) for this to happen.  In your
init startup you get to the point where you need the pps device before its
available.

In any case, works for me...
--
                                        Reg.Clemens