[LinuxPPS] Need help with setting up LinuxPPS/NTP server

Robert Jenkins raj at jrw.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 21:56:34 CEST 2008

........snip...
>  >ntpd -g
>  >ntpq -p
>      remote               refid                    st t when poll
> reach   delay   offset  jitter
> ================
> xGPS_NMEA(0)   .GPS.                  0 l   17   16  376    0.000
> -641.83  72.089
> +ntp2.your.org       64.202.112.65    3 u   48   64  377   29.920
> 8.623   0.722
> *rrcs-64-183-55- .GPS.                   1 u   63   64  377
> 66.258
> -2.181   1.880
> +mercury.element  128.252.19.1       2 u   33   64  377   42.065
> 6.104   1.858
>  LOCAL(0)           .LOCL.               10 l   40   64  377
>   0.000
> 0.000   0.001

......snip.....

>  From the ntpq -p you can see that the ntp daemon says the
> GPS is being
> designated a flasticker and not being used. I do not know what is
> causing this.
>
> Any help you could provide or resources you could point me to
> would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> --
> Richard Abbott

I was getting exactly the same result, I have rebuilt everything more times
than I want to remember and I could not get a PPS lock..

As Hal Engel suggested, there were TWO pps sources and I was using the fake
rather than the real one.
All I've done is change the symlink /dev/ppsgps0 to pps1 rather than pps0
and it's locked within a couple of minutes.

DOH!!!

Thanks Hal.
Robert Jenkins.