[LinuxPPS] PPS/ntpd fails on fresh startup

Luca Bertagnolio time at berta.com
Tue Oct 14 18:15:39 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Rodolfo Giometti <giometti at enneenne.com> wrote:
>> Could it be something that it's done in the *deinitialization* phase
>> of ntpd that
>> "fixes" the situation?  Maybe Venu can give us a few more hints as he's worked
>> on the refclock_nmea.c code in the past, I see from the notes...
>
> Actually I don't know... but if I well understand you, if you run
> ppstest it works each time, doesn't it?

Yes it does, but this just confirms that LinuxPPS alone is not the
culprit of the ntpd
startup issue.  Infact, the GPS18LVC keeps the PPS line running and ppstest
simply acknowledges that.

Looks like the catch is somewhere in the initialization or
deinitialization happening
in the NMEA driver within ntpd, so it's the interaction of LinuxPPS
and ntpd that
results in the problem.

 Let me see what I can dig by debugging a little when running ntpd.

Ciao, Luca